Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Monday, March 11, 2013

For Those Who are Not Qualified



What do you do when you are not qualified? When you aren't eloquent? When you are slow of speech and tongue? And, really, you'd like to stay in obscurity.

What do you do when you want someone else to do it and you say so by your actions. You walk in the opposite direction for several years because fear keeps it's tight grip around your throat and fingers?

When you plead, 'Lord, please! Send someone else.'

Oh, He will answer this plea.

In fact, He did so with Moses. He called Moses and Moses pleaded for someone else to take his place. So God did just as Moses asked. He doesn't really need us, He will accomplish His purposes without us.

But, what blessings did Moses miss? What an opportunity to prove God's greatness by surrendering his weakness and allowing God to use His mouth. God's anger burned against Moses although His steadfast love for him stayed constant. The Israelites were set free from Pharaoh's heavy hand. And God used his brother in His place.

Someone will be willing.

He doesn't need me, but by His grace He desires to use me for the furthering of His Kingdom.

I know fear was present when Moses pleaded with God, for God even reassured him that He would be with Him.

I know fear is present when God has called me to go out into all the world and make disciples. I know I look like a fool when I am vulnerable, 'But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong' and  He promised that He would be with me, always.

I don't have a message to deliver to a pharaoh, but I have a message that is to go into all the world that I am obligated to share. It is fear that keeps me wanting to stay in obscurity and pleads, 'Lord, Please! Send someone else.' As followers we have a message to make known and our own story to share.

But . . . 

I am not qualified. I am not eloquent. Someone else always does a better job. I am slow of speech and tongue. I'm too afraid and I'll look like a fool.

And yet, all God desires is that I say, 'Yes, Lord, send me, use me, take my weakness, empower me by your Spirit and use it for your glory.'

So I pray for faith to move forward, to look to the cross, to proclaim the gospel, and make disciples.


For isn't that the way of the follower?


"May the threefold Christian graces of faith, hope and love be more and more formed within me, until all my walk and conversation be such as becometh the gospel."
~J. Baillie

*****
Has this been true in your life?

Have you pleaded, "Lord, please! Send someone else?"





1 comment:

  1. "He will accomplish His purposes without us." This is a truth I have been learning. (And have been reading through Moses' story, too :) How much greater if we step in faith to let Him use us to accomplish His purposes! It's incredible that He still used Moses in a huge way.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...