Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Monday, February 8, 2016

The Goodness of God {One Thing Our Marriages Desperately Need Today ~~ A Husband's Heartfelt Words as His Wife's Heart was Weak for #HeartMonth}

{To read Part 1, the beginning of the series:
click here first.}







We were so excited to be anticipating my transfer out of Cardiovascular ICU to the Cardiovascular Surgery Unit as it was one step closer to going home.

We had much for which to give thanks and Jon shared these words that warm, seventh day of September:

I took a walk outside yesterday to get some fresh air (if that's possible down here [in Toronto]) and to contemplate the goodness of God in my life. 
I strolled over toward Yonge St. and was met with a thunderous sound ringing off the buildings and streets. That happens all the time, I know, but yesterday it was the voices of hundreds of people with floats and music singing and chanting " . . . hallelujah, hooray for Jesus . . .". I don't know how much attention the media gives to the March for Jesus in comparison to other parades but it caught my attention and I celebrated.

I celebrate because it's only through Jesus that I am saved. It's only through Jesus that I can hold on to true hope and meaning for living. It's only through Jesus that I have purpose and can be a finely tuned instrument in His hand. It's only through Him that that we are fully healed and restored in every way.

I feel that yesterday was a turning point for Rebekah's recovery. As the sedating drugs wore off from the night I saw her mind clearing. I saw her strength slowly being renewed like a young eagle in flight. 
Yes, she is still slow, weak and feels frail. Her voice cracks and her breath is short but she is chipper. She is not in much pain, she is gaining mobility, she is clear in her mind and thoughts and fully aware of her surroundings. She is getting back on solid foods. She walks around the full ICU wing here with her walker slowly while the staff and nurses cheer her on.

It's now Sunday morning and as I always do, I walk over anticipating what positive changes I will come into each day. She already went for a walk at 5:00 this morning. She was having a coffee here with her mom when I arrived today from the hotel. The discussion I'll be part of today which will be confirmed  later on this morning will be around when she can be discharged to the general recovery area. That may happen today or tomorrow once or if they are satisfied with a couple of things they still wanted to monitor for a little bit longer and when there is room for us in general recovery area. 
 
This would be wonderful!

I feel that Rebekah's story, which was hard for her to share for years, is only gaining strength and power as she is a living testimony to the grace and mercy of God—and in surrendering it all over to Him. He is glorified in and through her life and even here in the valley of trial and difficulty.

Why should I doubt, why should I fear — the powerful hand of God is moving right here!

I will exalt and lift up His name here in the ICU today.

Jon


~.~.~.~.~.


This is part 5 of the series:
One Thing Our Marriages Desperately Need Today ~~ A Husband's Heartfelt Words as His Wife's Heart was Weak
{for #HeartMonth.}

You can read Part 1, the beginning of the series here.


Read Part 6 here.

 To receive these updates in an email subscribe to A Soft Gentle Voice.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. This line especially struck me - "Why should I doubt, why should I fear —the powerful hand of God is moving right here!" Thank you for sharing, Rebekah and Jon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...