Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Friday, October 18, 2013

Who Am I? {United} In Christ {Day 18} #31 Days


If we have been united with him like this in his death,
we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. 
(Romans 6:5)
The towels are thumping in the dryer as I set me head down on my pillow just after midnight. Hopefully they will get folded and put away in the morning. At times soiled laundry has been washed and left in the washing machine a little too long, only to be set on the cycle again.

Life sure can feel like that. The never ending cycles of dirty laundry, wash, rinse and repeat. To my shame, sometimes with the very same load.

As mothers this never ending chore can get mind-numbing. Or it can get us down right discouraged feeling that we will never accomplish anything because although the piles of laundry have cleared from the bedrooms, hallways and laundry room the reality is they will be mountainous in a short day or so.

As Mamas who are in Christ we can look beyond the soiled laundry and see the strength we receive from being united with Christ, to serve those closest to us.

These menial jobs get so tiresome and don't we want to be doing greater things for the kingdom? There is a hunger for God among women out there to do great big glorious things, and all I seem to face here is little stomachs always hungry for more, and dirty socks strewn about everywhere - a life that is small and my attempts to do anything seem feeble in comparison.

I can look to all the fabulous things others are accomplishing, or I can be faithful in what has been set out for me.




If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, 
if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, 
if any tenderness and compassion, 
then make my joy complete by being like-minded, 
having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit,
but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
(Philippians 1:1-3)

To understand who we are in Christ, to live out our identity in Him, is the key to finding our purpose in this life.

Christ has washed me in His blood, scrubbed me clean and made me white as snow.

I have been grafted into Him.

I have been made new.

I am united with Him in the likeness of His death.

The soiled garments have put away.

Strength comes in unity and to be united to the very Son of God, gives me strength to lower myself down to consider the needs of others and love as Christ loves.


No matter where we've been planted to serve, when we are united in Christ, whether it is scrubbing socks, filling stomachs, feeding souls, sowing seeds, teaching sons and daughters, living small, or ministering to scores of people, it is Christ working in us for the purpose for all to be done to the praise of His glory.

So go on do your laundry, hang your life on the line and let the Spirit of God stir you to serve His church, whether it is a noble task or a lowly labour of love.

Till one day, we will be perfectly united to Him in the likeness of his resurrection.

***


This is Day 18 for the series: 31 Days: Who am I? {In Christ} Who is the I AM. 
You will find the complete series as it updated here

I invite you to follow on  Facebook and Twitter.





Enter your email address here  to A Soft Gentle Voice and have this series delivered to your inbox.
***
Also linking with Five Minute Friday at Lisa-Jo's place. This week the prompt is: Laundry

Officially, the rules are:

Five Minute Friday1. Write for 5 minutes  {Full disclosure: I spent more time on this post}
2. Link up at Lisa-Jo's  and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...