Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Words of Wisdom for the Weekend: Pursuing God






"You and I are in little (our sins excepted) what, God is in large. Being made in His image we have within us the capacity to know Him. In our sins we lack only the power. The moment the Spirit has quickened us to life in regeneration our whole being senses its kinship to God and leaps up in joyous recognition. That is the heavenly birth without which we cannot see the Kingdom of God. It is, however, not an end but an inception, for now begins the glorious pursuit, the heart's happy exploration of the infinite riches of the Godhead. That is where we begin, I say, but where we stop no man has yet discovered, for there is in the awful and mysterious deaths of the Triune God neither limit nor end.
"To have found God and still to pursue Him is the soul's paradox of love, scorned indeed by the too-easily-satisfied religionist, but justified in happy experience by the children of the burning heart . . . I want deliberately to encourage this mighty longing after God . . . Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth. Acute desire must be present or there will be no manifestation of Christ to His people. He waits to be wanted. Too bad that with many of us He waits so long, so very long, in vain."
~A.W. Tozer, 'The Pursuit of God' 


*****
{Words for Wisdom for the Weekend: These are words that I have been challenged or encouraged by that I have read throughout my week that I kept pondering; words that I couldn't get off my mind and heart throughout my week. 
For other Words of Wisdom for the Weekend posts see here.}


5 comments:

  1. Stunning paired photos! Gorgeous red! Makes a striking and captivating post.
    "To have found God and still to pursue Him..." yes I experience this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love A.W. Tozer. He says so many profound things. To have found God, and still to pursue Him. We will never be satisfied, and must always have more of Him. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this, "He waits to be wanted." Made me catch my breath a bit because unfortunately I was absent from Him for some time. Visiting from Still Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! It is indeed a glorious pursuit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Tozer & love these pics! Thanks for sharing these, Rebekah. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...