Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Monday, October 15, 2012

The Time to Write {Day 15}

IMG_1747

Taking on this 31 Days challenge has made me think about the time it takes to write. There are only so many hours in a day and there are countless things that need to be done. Or, at least, things that I think need to be done.


IMG_1759


Writing takes time.

I confess, I feel a little guilty when I find myself spending time doing the things I need to do in order to write. I wonder if I really should be doing something else. Like the laundry? 

Perhaps, I need to change my perspective and keep focused on why I am writing.


IMG_1758





In the book, ‘Write to Discover Yourself’, the author shares how we can find the time necessary to write and learn to write well:




“First, I will say what you expect me to say: You will have to take a close look at your priorities . . . There has to be time set aside for you to ‘practice’ for you to develop your skills. And so it will have to be considered in the establishment of your priorities. . .

“Now I will say what you may not have expected. You can become a creative writer on your schedule, no matter how harried, if you choose to do so! Because  . . . time may be defined in many ways.”

“The time for writing is yours. In the regular activities of your life, keep yourself constantly on the alert for ‘stuff’ to write about. Much of it may be held forever in the words you scribble on the run. Some of it you will want to develop more fully when you do have hours of ‘free uninterrupted quiet’.”


~Ruth Vaughn, 'Write to Discover Yourself'



I find I am often ‘writing’ in my head, but I need to practice scribbling it down more where I can see it, work it over and take that thought and transform it into ‘tangible reality’.

Writing will take valuable time. But, it is also offering up something very valuable; for me, for God, and perhaps for others.




31 Days
This is part of a series, linking up with Nester, for the month of October.

You will find the rest of the series, Write to Discover Yourself: My Story His Glory, here

It is a series of posts of sharing what I am learning in Ruth Vaughn’s book, 'Write to Discover Yourself'.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...