Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Listening



And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before Jehovah. And behold, Jehovah passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and broke in pieces the rocks before Jehovah: Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice.
(1Ki 19:11-12)


As 2008 begins I have been reflecting on how God spoke to Elijah. We do not need to look for the spectacular, but listen for God in the quietness. He has given us His Word and it is my prayer that I will listen more faithfully to Him this coming year.

Elijah was spent. He was in the cave and God brought him out in humility not with wind, or an earthquake, or fire, but with a soft gentle voice. He told Elijah what he wanted him to do and Elijah obeyed.



SPEAK, LORD, IN THE STILLNESS

Speak, Lord, in the stillness
While I wait on Thee;
Hushed my heart to listen,
In expectancy.

Speak, O blessèd Master,
In this quiet hour,
Let me see Thy face, Lord,
Feel Thy touch of power.

For the words Thou speakest,
“They are life” indeed;
Living Bread from Heaven,
Now my spirit feed!

All to Thee is yielded,
I am not my own;
Blissful, glad surrender,
I am Thine alone.

Fill me with the knowledge
Of Thy glorious will;
All Thine own good pleasure
In my life fulfill.

Like “a watered garden”
Full of fragrance rare,
Ling’ring in Thy presence
Let my life appear.

Emily May Grimes (1868-1927)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...