Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Thursday, November 1, 2012

So, Who am I, Then?


That's it. 31 Days for 2012 ~ all but the four Sundays, that is. 

It was a great topic and a great book that is out of print, but is definitely beneficial to read if you are wanting to write and in doing so discover more about yourself.

The thing I have learned this month about this topic is that there is so much more I have to learn about writing and about myself. It was worth the effort to go through the discipline.

Last night I started a new book, 'A Circle of Quiet' by Madeleine L'Engle. A fantastic book (from what I have read so far) about the same kind of questions: Who am I? Why am I here? What am I doing with my life?

Maybe it has something to do with mothering. As I am trying to give direction to my children I find it is often a struggle as many times I am still trying to find out my own identity.

But, I do know that somehow wrestling through it is helpful for myself. Sharing it with others can be helpful for them. I realized that there is no point in doing this solely for myself because then I become completely self-absorbed. When we are completely self-absorbed we essentially have put ourselves at the center of the universe. Really, we need to attempt to discover who we are in such a way that takes the emphasis right off our own self so that we might be a blessing to others and bring glory to the Creator. 

L'Engle writes:
"I haven't defined a self, nor do I want to. A self is not something static, tied up in a pretty parcel and handed to the child, finished and complete. And self is always becoming. Being does mean becoming, but we run so fast that it is only when we seem to stop  - as sitting on the rock at the brook - that we are aware of our own isness, of being. But certainly this is not static, for this awareness of being is always a way of moving from the selfish self - the self-image - and towards the real.
Who am I, then? Who are you?"

I hope you have may have benefited from joining me on this journey this past month. What am amazing opportunity to know that is a process that we keep on getting to discover!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...