Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Who Am I? {New} In Christ {Day 3} #31Days



It was manure spreading season. The scent lingered in the air, but you sort of got used to it when you lived on two acres in farm country surrounded by pig farms.

I was probably 15 that day, riding on the John Deere when unexpected company dropped by. The company followed my parents in the house while I waved a greeting and I carried on mowing down the grass.

It was a glorious day with a slight breeze blowing in my mousy hair. I bounced in the yellow seat singin' away as I drove up along the farmer's field to the north of our home. Why I did that, I still can't even imagine.

As the farmer who was out spreading excrement in the field and I came to the one corner where the property lines met, we both turned our tractors to head straight toward the lowering sun. The wind caught the rich fertilizer spewing out of the farmer's machine precisely at the most unfortunate time and the next thing I knew it was raining down on me. 

My hair, blue jacket, and denim now all splattered with liquid poop, as my son would say.

I was covered in pig manure; clothed in filthy, stinkin' garments. I hopped off the mower as fast as I could, ran straight in the front door, past the company, and jumped into the shower before the farmer, who probably burst out laughing, was down his length of the field.

For some reason, I'll never forget it. The disgusting stench, the embarrassing and humble state I was in, and how good it was to put on a new outfit. What I don't recall is what I did with the soiled garmets.

The were taken from me and I put on new clothes.



What a glorious condition those who are in Christ find themselves. The old man, covered filthy rags that stank, in garments of unrighteousness,  has been made new and clothed in the righteousness of Christ.

A work of grace to the soul has taken place. 

One who was dead was made alive. 

Grace has brought forth new life in Christ.

The Spirit has done a work in the one who is in Christ by grace alone, through faith alone, because of the work that Christ accomplished on the cross. 

By His death and resurrection, we have joined him in his death and been given new life in him.


There is a ". . . change of mind and heart, whereby we are enabled to believe in the Lord Jesus, and to live to God."*  Jesus will forgive our sin, we are to repent of our sin, Jesus grants us righteousness and takes our unrighteouness to never be remembered again. 

"The believer is created anew; his heart is not merely set right, but a new heart is given him. He is the workmanship of God, created in Christ Jesus unto good works. Though the same as a man, he is changed in his character and conduct. These words must and do mean more than an outward reformation. The man who formerly saw no beauty in the Saviour that he should desire him, now loves him above all things." *

We walk a new path from the one we were headed as we put on the new self that we have been given.


"Practically, this means we no longer think, desire, or act according to our old identity as someone disconnected from Jesus Christ. Instead, we have a new identity 'in Jesus' and become a new person 'created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.' Paul says this new identity has to be put on like clothing. Therefore, it is a good idea every day as we dress ourselves physically to also pray that God would dress us spiritually to live out our identity in Christ throughout the day. The question becomes, how do we put off our old self and put on our new self? The answer is found in the effects of Christ's work on the cross for us: justification, regeneration, and glorification. Justification makes us externally new. Regeneration makes us internally new. Glorification makes us eternally new in Christ."** [emphasis added]

In this new life we have been given, we increasingly grow to live out our identity in Christ, empowered by the Spirit to become more and more like Christ in the process. 



***



You will find the complete series as it updated here







I invite you to follow on  Facebook and Twitter.



Enter your email address here  to A Soft Gentle Voice and have this series delivered to your inbox.



Matthew Henry Commentary
**Driscoll, Mark. "Who Do you Think you Are?


1 comment:

  1. "We walk a new path from the one we were headed as we put on the new self that we have been given." Amen! 2 Corinthians 5:17 is one of my favorite verses and you have captured it so beautiful here. Thank you for linking up for Three Word Wednesday! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...