Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Thursday, January 3, 2013

How to Move Forward When You Feel Stuck {Naming my Year: Proskartereo} {Part 1}


I did it without even thinking.

I wrote a cheque a few months ago {in 2012} and when my Mom tried to cash it the teller told her she could not take it because it was dated 2010.

When my sister heard about this silly mistake I made she questioned me about it. She wondered if I wrote '2010' because I got stuck there.

I named my first year in 2010. I named it ‘grace’. And looking back I see how much I needed it.

The year before we had sold our home, looked for months for a home to purchase and finally found it exactly one month before our closing date. I was pregnant with our third child and sick for most of the pregnancy. Amidst home educating we started to finish the basement shortly after we moved in. {I say started because although it is almost finished there are still a few odd jobs to complete}.

IMG_2638

Although we did not move far I discovered how lonely a move can be when you need to find a new Church and you move further from family and friends.

So 2010 began with the the birth of a third child ending that difficult and yet so wondrous pregnancy, loneliness and mild depression setting in, and continuing health issues. And yet, through it all I saw God amazing grace.

IMG_3000

The year to follow, 2011, I named ‘faith’.

Being in this new spot in our lives I had found that my faith was being challenged. I knew I needed to ‘look to Jesus the founder and perfecter of our faith.’ And I discovered all over again that, ‘without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.’

IMG_8036

IMG_8079

This year that we just wrapped up, 2012, I named ‘peace’. I longed for peace in my own life and in our home. I had a foreboding sense right from the beginning of the year that it would be a difficult one. It proved to be. And yet it could have been a lot worse and we discovered God’s peace that passes all understanding through it all.

Naming my year for 2013 . . . my one word  . . . here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...