Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Friday, January 4, 2013

How to Move Forward When You Feel Stuck {Naming my Year: Proskartereo} {Part 2}

For part one . . . naming my years . . . you can go here

IMG_9349

IMG_1747

The beginning of a brand new year . . . 2013. And I still feel stuck. I struggle with knowing my purpose, with getting up some days and wondering about how to move on.

I look up a Greek word this year.

I name this year, 2013, proskarteréō.

I look it up  in Strongs and see it comes from two Greek words: prós and karteréō. 

Prós being a preposition of direction; forward to, that is, toward.

Karteréō meaning to be strong, to be steadfast, to endure. It carries the basic idea of persistence.

It is translated continue in English and is the word found in Colossians 4:2:
'Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving . . .'
Like everyone else I need to move forward. And I need, as Strongs defines it, 'to consistently [show] strength which prevails (in spite of difficulties); to endure (remain firm) . . .'

Kartereō is used of Moses in Hebrews 11:27, when ‘ . . . he endured as seeing him who is invisible.’ By faith, he was able to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt because he had communion with the invisible God. God spoke to Moses in the burning bush and Moses endured.

God desires that I commune with him. It is all about relationship. One of the ways that will deepen that relationship is prayer.

In fact, I find that proskarteréō  is used five times for the practice of prayer in the New Testament. (Acts 1:14, Acts 2:42, Acts 6:4, Rom 12:12Col 4:2).

I must move forward, but I know I cannot do it on my own.

IMG_8850

Is that why we are commanded to continue in prayer?

It is the power of God, His strength that enables me to move forward in faith.

Interesting that we are commanded to continue in prayer right after Paul exhorts and lays out ‘rules for Christian households.
“‘Continue in prayer’ - This was the apostle’s general advice to all; without this, neither wives, husbands, children, parents, servants, nor masters, could fulfill the duties which God, in their respective stations, required of them. “
Adam Clarke
In order to move forward this year in all that God has called me to, I see my desperate need to first be in communion with the One who created me and called me in the first place.

I wonder if I was to continue in prayer first, if this is my priority, than all that I am called to be and do, how much more the landscape of my life would transform.

I move forward to endure, move in a fixed direction ~ in communion with my Lord. And in that continuing I am to watch with eucharisteo ~ thanksgiving.




1 comment:

  1. Not only do I love word studies, but having made this your 2013 word means even more. Your working through the definition and then listening to God for His way for you...you are walking with Him each step of your path. Amen.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...