Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Friday, November 9, 2012

When you need your own 'Circle of Quiet'

Five Minute Friday


The word for today's Five Minute Friday is: Quiet













***

I am reading and savouring a book that Lisa-Jo recommended during her 31 Days series: 'A Circle of Quiet'. It is filled with so many gems. It appealed to me right from the very beginning where Madeleine L'Engle discusses how she came up with the title of her book. L'Engle shared her need for quiet. I can so relate:
'Every so often I need OUT; something will throw me into total disproportion, and I have to get away from everybody - away from all these people I love most in the world - in order to regain a sense of proportion.'
She describes the glorious place she escapes to - her own 'circle of quiet'  - 'where there is no visible sign of human beings.'

I grew up with 3 active brothers and 2 sisters, dog, cat, kittens, chickens ~ a loud household ~ that I am truly grateful for. Yet, being an introvert I discovered I needed to escape. I would wander off past the pool, I'd stop for a bit on the wooden bridge suspended over the creek, then up through the forest and find my way to a rock in the meadow where I'd sit, think, read, pray, and write. I run out there when I got a letter in the mail from the man I was beginning to love.

When I married and we moved to town, somehow I lost the priority of finding that 'circle of quiet'. I love being a Mama ~ it was what I always dreamed of ~ and I am thankful that we can educate at home, but it leaves very few moments of quiet. And although I needed it, I neglected to find a spot where I could retreat to on the days when I need to 'sit for a while, [that] my impatience, crossness, frustration, are indeed annihilated, and my sense of humor returns' just as L'Engle confesses.

I need quiet. I fancy my own 'circle of quiet' once again. I believe that it is important even in this stage of motherhood. That I may 'love those I love most', even more!


***


One of the other five minute fivers had her children join her last week. I thought it was a great idea so I gave my children the prompt for this week and allowed us a few extra minutes of writing. They did a great job of writing on 'quiet' and ironically it was fairly quiet while everyone was scratching down their thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...