Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Surprise!



The first things she said as she buckled herself into her booster seat tonight was, "So what did you guys do?" My reply was, "Oh, I'm not telling, you will have to wait and see." She turned to her brother, who is still learning to talk, and tried to figure out what had gone on at home in her absence. She rhymed off some typical activities that take place in our home, but I assured her I was not telling!

She loves surprises so I continued with, "It's a surprise!" Now she really wanted to unravel the mystery of what had taken place in our home while she was at gymnastics. I could not see her as I was focused on the road ahead, but I could hear the smile in her voice as she exclaimed, "You were baking! No wait, Nana is here. Is Nana hear? Did Nana come early?"

As we turned onto our street, she looked for Nana's car, but none was to be found. Although she had just been so excited at the thought of seeing her Nana, I could hear disappointment in her sigh as she realized that was not the surprise.

Yet, she could hardly wait to see if her first guess was true. She ran inside our warm house and straight into the kitchen where she could smell and see the cookies that had come out of the oven not long before.

I could see the joy that such a simple surprise had brought to her. I could see her contentment in the fact that her Mommy had made her a yummy surprise. Such a small thing, but she was so delighted.

It is not as though baking is never had in this home. It was the coming home to love, family and small surprises.

After she was tucked into bed, I reflected on the feeling that I had as I provided the surprise. Such a joy to see our children rest in our provisions and love and surprises.

I thought of all the blessings our Heavenly Father brings into our lives. At times we are looking for one thing, expectantly, but He provides with another blessing. He is our Provider, our Comforter. We may not know the 'surprises' ahead, but our all-knowing Father knows the road ahead.

Oh, that I would learn to be content in all that my Heavenly Father has given me! To delight in all of His provisions. Not to take what He has given me for granted, but to enjoy them!

photo: cookies fresh from the oven

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...