Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind, an earthquake: Jehovah was not in the earthquake.
And after the earthquake, a fire: Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire, a soft gentle voice. (1Kings 19:11-12)

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Hidden Love of God {Words of Life Wednesdays ~ A Link-Up}

{Join us below for Words of Life Wednesdays with a link-up of your post.
We'd love to hear how God's Word has been nourishing you.}

Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. 
For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 
When Christ who is you're a life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. {Colossians 3:2-4} 

New life is unfurling all around us these days.

The buds have burst open. The birds are busy nesting. The many shades of green and bright tulips and daffodils shooting up add beauty to the landscapes in our lives.

And yet we hurry about and miss so much of it. The rains come and we rush indoors. The earth spins and we spin ever faster, with our lives spiralling out of control.

We lay down our heads and our thoughts whirl and we toss and turn like a fish out of water.


We want to plan out our lives, but life doesn't pan out the way we dream.

We want purpose, but we live missing the point.

We want peace, but we our lives are filled with broken pieces.

We want pretty packages tied up with string, but our possessions come with strings attached.

We want control, but we get chaos.

We want rest, but we are restless



Come to the Source of Life.

In Him is rest and peace and purpose.

He has all things in His control.

He is the Creator and Sustainer of all.

The One who takes care of the birds of the air and dresses the flowers of the field in splendour,

He will take care of You.

Cast your cares upon Him.


"O HIDDEN Source of life, let me now meditate upon the great and precious plan by which Thou hast brought it to pass that a mortal man like me should look up to Thee and call Thee Father.
In the beginning Thou, the Uncreated,
Making all things out of nothing:
Space and time and material substance:
All things that creep and fly, the beasts of the forest,
the fowls of the air, the fish of the sea:
And at last man, in Thine own image, to have fellowship with Thyself:
Then when, in the corruption and disobedience of his
heart, that image had been defaced:
A gracious design for its restoration through the gift
of Thine only-begotten Son:
New life in Him, and a new access to Thy Holy presence.  
O hidden love of God, whose will it is that all created spirits should live everlastingly in pure and perfect fellowship with Thyself, grant that in my life today I may do nothing to defeat this Thy most gracious purpose. Let me keep in mind how Thy whole creation groans and travails, waiting for the perfect appearing of the Son of God; and let me welcome every influence of They Spirit upon my own that may the more speedily make for that end. When Thou knockest at my heart's door, let me not keep Thee standing without but welcome Thee with joy and thanksgiving. 
Let me habour nothing in my heart that might embarrass Thy presence; 
let me keep no corner of it closed to Thine influence. 
Do what Thou wilt with me, O God; 
make of me what Thou wilt, 
and change me as Thou wilt, 
and use me as Thou wilt, 
both now and in the larger life beyond; 
through Jesus Christ our Lord. 
Amen."
~ John Baillie, A Diary of Private Prayer

A Soft Gentle Voice

{also linking with Coffee for your Heart}


11 comments:

  1. Love that you pointed to the things we want and the things we end up getting. We truly need to go to the source of all things over and over again. We will see beauty in the broken. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need these constant reminders for myself! Thank you, Jolene.

      Delete
  2. He does have ALL things in control. There is such hope in those words! Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He really is the source of life. And I know I still turn to other things at times but each time I do I think it draws me ever so closer to Him because I realize it doesn't fill me the way only He can. Your words are always a blessing to me, Rebekah. Truly lovely. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How often we fail to look to Jesus. How faithful He is to draw us to Him. Thank you for your loving and encouraging comments. They ALWAYS brighten my day! Always!!

      Delete
  4. Oh how I fully relate to this post. It made me cry... Thank you for sharing your heart-it's beautiful! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray you are encouraged as you seek Him! He is faithful! May you know God's comfort and peace tonight, Satin.

      Delete
  5. Ah, you had me at that first magnificent image ... and yes, sometimes those written prayers are the best. Thank you for this post, Rebekah ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. And, thank YOU, Linda for coming over again and leaving a lovely comment!

      Delete
  6. I love when you write like this! I appreciated these thoughts so much. What truth! Makes me think of the hymn, "How Sweet the Name of Jesus Sounds....this manna to the hungry soul and to the weary rest." ( Rachel)


    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...